Friday, October 22, 2010

The Gift of Fragility

“It is at this instant that I suddenly discovered that my life would never be the same: I could not go back to my lab and continue to live as before. The “Poor” had knocked at my door. I had opened it. He had entered and was now with me forever. Borrowing the words of Isaiah4, I had recognized in this child my own flesh and I could not escape any more. I did not know his name and yet he had given me a new name that I had been expecting for years. Within his suffering, my new friend had a mysterious power of presence that had enlightened my own self. In exchange for the small amount of love that I had been manifesting in my own poor way, I had received the gift of the Spirit of God who was dwelling in him. Through this gift I had been confirmed in the depth of my living being, that is of my loving being, who needs presence and who needs at the same time to give himself and to be received fully within a unique relationship.”

Xavier le Pichon: do you know who he is?  Rather than writing today, I encourage you to listen to Krista Tippett’s interview with him, to read his essay “Ecce Homo”.  My words would be a shallow reflection of his.  HERE is a link to the “On Being” web page   Enjoy.

1 comment:

Your comments are helpful, and will be used to improve this blog.