Friday, January 14, 2011

Civility: An Example

David Brooks is a voice that I can listen to, even though he speaks for the other side of the political spectrum, the Conservative side, that is, if we must take sides.  Kathy and I love to catch the News Hour on PBS, especially on Fridays when "Shields and Brooks" take a look at the week's events through Liberal and Conservative eyes, respectively . . . and respectfully.  So this week even as I look forward to the program, I was grateful to see David's essay in today's Times.  Please take a look yourselves.

He reminds me of my good friend Joe Walsh back in Detroit, who while he answers to being a Republican and lives in a top 1% house, has a generous heart and lives in response to it.  Joe taught me by catching me being divisive, looking for differences in values and intentions where evidence pointed only to differences in approach.

But he reminds me too that we all have healing to do, that the idea of evil in the world and in ourselves is one to consider in our minds and in our hearts, and in the company of those with whom we share town or table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are helpful, and will be used to improve this blog.