Thursday, May 12, 2011

When is a Door Not a Door?

“How did you get in here,” the heroine screams, clutching her spidering-tense fingers to her mouth, as if to protect herself from the unseen intruder.   

Sunday’s Gospel, John 10: 1-10  begins with Jesus saying “Amen, amen I say to you….”  This is like saying “look at me; I’m going to say something important.”  And what he has to say is that “whoever does not enter a sheepfold through the gate but climbs over elsewhere is a thief and a robber.”  And he goes on to tell us that he is the sheep gate through which we should enter the world.

Do we enter the world through love, or some other way?  If there were signs over the various doors, what would they be?

Members Only
I accept exceptionalism.  I feel comfortable with those who speak as I do, who act conventionally, who conform to the norms I accept.  They are Catholic, perhaps, or White, or Educated, or Male.  And they accept me just as I am: Catholic, Educated, Young, and Male.

Security
I’ll do what will keep me safe.  I’ll hold on to what I have so it will be there for later when I need it.  If I’m sure I have enough I’ll share some of the extra, but I’ll hold on to some of it too, just in case.

Faculty Entrance
I know, you know.  I have an education, and lots of experience.  I should be able to walk right in, and people ought to know that I know.  What do I know?  What they don’t.  I’m special, and need to be treated as, well, above them.

Baggage Pickup
I gotta bring my stuff.  I choose the car that is attractive, that shows whatever it is I need to show others.  I’m frugal, or I’m sensible, or I’ve really arrived, or I’m hot, baby!  Cell phone in my left pocket (smartphone, you know, with all my numbers and my calendar too) keys in my right, wallet in my back pocket, with clout.

(Your Name Here)
This guy is just standing there, holding as sign with your name on it.  He’s looking at you with an expression that is calm, and his mouth betrays a certain mirth, warmer than a smirk, as if he knows you.  I walk over to him, and he says, “Amen, amen I say to you. Come with me.”   You start to follow him, and he says “Leave you stuff here; all you need will be provided.”  

OoHOO!  A...men!

So here we are, facing these five ways in.  How do we choose, really?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are helpful, and will be used to improve this blog.