Wednesday, December 5, 2012

20 Chopping Days 'Til Christmas

So Tuesday mornings, as I’ve mentioned, I sit with my boys, if you can call a bunch of mostly retired guys boys, and we look at the coming Sunday’s Gospel.  It’s 7 AM, and some of us have bed-head only partially camouflaged by a too-quick comb.  

But one of us has always prepared during the week ahead, and this morning Dave is that guy.  Dave’s good.  He’s got a good head, but when he shares what he’s put together, his heart takes over, and we are treated to his being moved by the truth he’s put together for us.  

He’s prepared, but he’s surprised, too…a perfect example for Advent and Christmas.

Today, this second Sunday of Advent, he’s sharing with us an old chestnut, in the season when we roast them over an open fire, or so the song goes.  You know the one.  It begins “Prepare ye….”

Making the crooked path straight and filling in the low places, flattening the bumps.  I’m 10 or 11, and in my neighborhood outside of Chicago the kids I (literally) run around with during the summer are feeling the thrum on our chests, vibrations from the diesel engines of these enormous earth-movers with CATERPILLAR in huge black letters in their dust-covered yellow sides.  They’re a block away, up there inside the fence, building up a flat-topped hill that stretches diagonally across what had been our ball field, stretches from southeast where Chicago is up toward Wisconsin somewhere north.  Their wheels are HUGE, taller that we are.  The drivers are like miniature tin toys lost in their cabs, their miniscule arms with elbows out the windows as they bound at full speed across the hill in (literally) a cloud of dust.

So the “Prepare ye” would elicit these me this image of powerful physical change, of get-out-of-the-way-baby, chest-thrumming, exhaust-belching dust-cloud-making, soil-shoving, ball field-obliterating power.

But this morning I think of the chopping of a little knife on a wood cutting board in a quiet, clean kitchen.  I have this friend Steve who is a brilliant writer working as a cook.  He has the heart of a chef, an artist with anything he touches, so food will work as well as words.   But in today’s job market, he works for his sustenance more as a prep cook than a chef. 

And this morning my stomach is still smiling from Thanksgiving, when I watched my son-in-law spend the entire early morning being a prep cook, cutting vegetables, making sauces, assembling ingredients, covering his kitchen with the components that would become our once-again wonderful Thanksgiving dinner.  By noon he would be the chef, assembling all of that, but this morning he was the prep cook.

So now I’m back with my boys, and Dave is saying (he seems to be discovering it in saying the words) “It’s popular these days to say that Christmas is about giving, but for us, Christmas is about preparing to receive the gift that God gives us.”

I’m sitting next to Dave and smiling.  His words, and my friend Steve, and my son-in-law in his kitchen come to mind, and now the word “Prepare” is not about power.  It's about being the prep cook.  I have, as of today, twenty days to prep myself, to bring out everything I have and make it available to God, so that God can use all of me.  Christmas is about giving.  The perfect Christmas the one in which we give our whole selves, make out whole selves available.  But as Dave says, it’s about receiving too. 

What we receive is the perfect surprise: what (wonder!) God can make of us.  Who’s the chef on TV that finishes every meal prep with a presentation to the camera and such a Godly phrase…”Oooo, it’s so GOOD!”

We’ve got 20 days.  Chop 'til you drop!

  FreeLemonadeStand by John J. Daniels is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are helpful, and will be used to improve this blog.