Saturday, December 27, 2014

From Christmas to Epiphany III: He's YOURS!

This is the third day of the “12 Days of Christmas” leading to the Epiphany.  In 1944, Fr. Alfred Delp, S.J. was writing in his cell in Tegel Prison, writing to us the faithful about Christmas, and our response to the encounter.  His last writing would be about Epiphany, which means “opening”.  It would for him be the opening into the afterlife.  He would be hanged by the Nazis the day after Epiphany.

How would we respond to the encounter of the Nativity if we were actually there? 

Years ago in a prayer and study group at Manresa Jesuit RetreatHouse near Detroit, a woman sat in prayer for days following Christmas, and shared the following story. 

"I had imagined my way to the manger lighted by the star.  The path through the arid vegetation was well worn, and my feet could feel the little stones through my sandals.  The path itself seemed to draw me, giving me a sense of what “forward” was.  I was in kind of a fog of this feeling of the power of the path when I realized that I had come upon the manger.  It was just a rough structure, just enough to hold up a roof, a kind of alcove into which animals could…"

"...As I was looking at the baby, my eyes drawn to the swaddling, and the way it embraced and comforted him, Mary gently lifted him…and held him out to me!"

" 'Take him; he’s yours,' she said!" 

The woman began to weep now, as she had wept there in prayer.  Her vivid description of the experience had brought us along, and as she was drawn into this unexpected gesture of Mary, we were too.

What about you?  Here is Mary, holding out Jesus to you.  She is telling you that he is yours.  She is waiting for your response.  How will you respond?  This is what Fr. Delp is asking us.  He challenges us not to make in our minds kitschy nativity scenes with a cute little baby Jesus and a sweet little family of three, with ox and ass and drummer boy. He challenges us not to walk away from the manger.  He asks us what difference it makes to us that Jesus was God taking our flesh.

When I revisit the woman’s experience, and I find Mary holding out the baby to me, I recall that my tears on her telling were awe and gratitude and honor.  That she would give me her precious child!  But this year as I went back to that moment, I took the baby to my breast in embrace, and felt him rooting at my breast for food.  I felt embarrassed and then inadequate.  I recalled having held one of my newborn daughters that way, and can still physically recall the feeling of their rooting, their tiny mouth searching intently.  I had looked with humor and confusion at my wife, and can hear her saying, “Hold her in your arms, but not against your chest.”

And I remembered that my cute little baby daughter…needed…to…be…fed!

To accept Jesus into our life is to care for Him.  The God who is born to us is really human, really flesh.  The incarnation means this.  God made man is a God who needs us to respond, not just watch, or pray, or even adore. 

I think now as I write how this unspeaking newborn infant and His calling me to responsibility brings to mind the Gospel of a few weeks ago, calling us to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked….

Christmas calls us to incarnation as well, to know that we are flesh, that our faith is faith-in-the-flesh, just as this baby that Mary is holding out to us as our own needs to be FED!

Perhaps you will find some light in sitting with this story, sitting with Mary holding the baby out to you. For some tips on Ignatian contemplation, praying by entering the story, click here.

Tomorrow: The Pope’s “piccolezza”


Creative Commons License FreeLemonadeStand by John J. Daniels is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are helpful, and will be used to improve this blog.