Saturday, August 7, 2010

Small Change? Loose Change?

Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things not seen.   Paul wrote this to the Hebrew Christians 2000 years ago. 

The last two postings flowed from Robert F. Kennedy’s address to students in South Africa, a call to them to build a better world.  He was encouraging them to change things.  It was 1966, and he was encouraging these young people to change the world.  In 1967, John Lennon wrote these lyrics for a song titled “Across the Universe”.

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe

Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind
Possessing and caressing me

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes
They call me on and on across the universe

Thoughts meander like the restless wind inside a letter box
They tumble blindly as they make their way across the universe

Sounds of laughter, shades of life are ringing through my open ears
Inciting and inviting me

Limitless undying love, which shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on and on across the universe

Nice words – taking in words and sounds, being caressed by emotions, and being called on and on across the universe, across the universe like those ripples, those ripples that build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.

Wowie!  Sounds promising.  But in the song, the refrain which is repeated three times is “Nothing’s gonna change my world, Nothing’s gonna change my world; Nothing’s gonna change my world, Nothing’s gonna change my world.

What do we hope for?  What is the evidence that we have of things unseen?  What incites us and invites us?  What calls us on and on?  And what brings us to despair?  Please comment – simply, briefly.



Creative Commons License FreeLemonadeStand by John J. Daniels is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

1 comment:

  1. What do I hope for?

    Today I awoke and was filled with love for the creator God and for the gift of such a beautiful morning! For heaven’s sake why? in the next week will be the anniversaries of two recent deaths of precious loves.
    Well, the Lord does NOT leave me alone or lonely because strewn before me are tiny pieces of the world that touch me. Here is an example. Yesterday an email came from my friend Jane who is in a hospice nursing home. She is an artist and loves painting icons. She sent me her reflection on one she had done, mystical and beautiful! And what am I invited to do? Send back to her what I see, what I remember, who I am, and who she is to me. Isn’t that what we need as life reaches to the end and beyond.

    What do I hope for.. eyes to see clearly what is here and appreciate these gifts when they shower over me. Bobbie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are helpful, and will be used to improve this blog.